However in the back of many people’s mind’s is whether there are real benefit to exposing children to yet more screen time.
What are the advantages and disadvantages of online educational programs?
In this video, I share with you:
- How much time my own children spend using online educational programs
- The pros and cons of online educational games
- How to choose and use an online program.
Key points from the video are shown below:
- My kids play online nearly every day. My 9 yr old and 11 yr old are enrolled on Conquer Maths which I use to extend their maths learning.
- My 4 year old is learning to read using the Reading Eggs program.
- The older 2 are learning French and Arabic with Arab Academy and Smart FM.
- Overall they spend 20 mins on Conquer Maths, 15 mins on Arab Academy and 5 mins on Smart FM each day.
So what are the pros and cons of online maths programs?
- Kids do love computers – are more willing to learn at a computer.
- Adaptive technology sets work to the right level.
- The computer gives instant feedback as to whether the work is correct.
- Foster independent learning skills.
- Excessive screen time is not good.
- Too much gameplay, not enough learning.
- Children can get addicted to the online rewards.
How to choose and use an online program
- Test drive the program for a few days
- Find out how much time is needed to make good progress.
- Pay close attention to the parental feedback.
- Give plenty of online and offline verbal praise
What do you think of online educational programs?
Does your child use any?
How long do they spend on them each week?
Has their learning improved as a result?
Tell me in the comments below!
Please note: I reserve the right to delete comments that are offensive or off-topic.