10 Conversation Starting Math and Education Infographics | Math Awareness Month
April is Math Awareness Month, the goal of which is to increase public understanding of, and appreciation for mathematics. The theme for this year’s month of math awareness is Mathematics, Statistics and the Data Deluge.
According to Math Awareness Month:
“Massive amounts of data are collected every day, often from services we use regularly, but never think about. Scientific data comes in massive amounts from sensor networks, astronomical instruments, biometric devices, etc., and needs to be sorted out and understood. Personal data from our Google searches, our Facebook or Twitter activities, our credit card purchases, our travel habits, and so on, are being mined to provide information and insight. These data sets provide great opportunities, and pose dangers as well.”
As a fan of data and of infographics in particular, I’ve collected 10 conversation-starting infographics which offer interesting insights into math, education and math education. Which one will you talk about this week?
(If you’re reading this in your email inbox, you may need to enable images to see the cool charts below, or click http://www.mathsinsider.com/math-infographics to view the post in your browser.)
1. Emphasis on Math and Science by Immigrant Parents
2. US vs Them: How the US stacks up against other countries in standardized tests
Courtesy of: Online Schools
3. When Am I Going to Use Math?
4. A Teacher’s Worth Around the World
5. American STEM
6. Blended Learning – A disruptive innovation
7. STEM education: Does America Have the Right Stuff
8. Girls are Smarter Than Boys
Created by: Engineering Degree
9. The Math-Science Shortage
Created by: EngineeringDegree.net
10. Education’s Effect on Income